Be The Best You Can Be - Teach Your Child Armenian
We want the best of the best for our children. That includes the most amazing cake for their birthdays, the best school for their education and our love and kisses for their souls. We invest in their future because we believe that they will be amazing leaders, educators and creators. So when it comes to giving our children part of our Armenian heritage, many of us want to give the best of that as well. However, sometimes we don’t know what that is.
It may be hard because we have not fully learned the language, history or culture ourselves. We may not live in a community where we can engage with other Armenian families. It may be frustrating and many just give up. Don’t be like the many, be like the best and don’t give up. Here are some tips for those who don’t quit!
- Make more Armenian friends. (Join Facebook Groups, go out to local Armenian events or set up playdates.)
- If available enroll your child in an Armenian school. (Private school, public school with dual immersion, afterschool Armenian classes, Saturday school through church or the A.R.S. or even online.)
- Watch Armenian movies and cartoons on Youtube. (Armenian Kids Club, Taline & Friends, Joelle Entertainment, BoPoKidsTV, Armpancho TV, and classic cartoons.)
- Speak in Armenian at home as much as possible.
- Play games like name a color, animal or thing that starts with each letter of the alphabet.
- Read books in Armenian. (Order online from armeniankidsclub.com, Abrilbooks.com, Sardarabad.com or Amazon.)
- Do fun activities like draw pictures, color in coloring books (armeniankidsclub.com) and talk about the colors you are using or the pictures you are coloring.
- Sing a song. If you don’t know any, make one up using some silly words in Armenian.
I hope these ideas help you in your journey to being the best you can be and help preserve our wonderful language and heritage.